Recommend this article to your Facebook friends!
Benefits of Vitamin C for Skin
Topical Vitamin C Protects, Promotes, Repairs Skin
We know that topical Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that can help our damaged skin to recover and can protect it from future damage. Nutritional antioxidants, like the Vitamin C in oranges or asparagus for example, naturally protect our skin from photoaging but we don’t always get the daily recommended amount. Topical Vitamin C can produce higher concentrations of Vitamin C in the skin and once absorbed, they aren’t washed or rubbed off.
Topical Vitamin C Must be Stable and Active to Penetrate layers of Skin
It is important to stress here that only topical Vitamin C (L-Ascorbic acid) that is stable, active and able to be absorbed, and remain stable throughout the life of the product once it is opened, is effective. It must be able to penetrate to be effective at the cellular level. (Obagi Professional-C Serums provide antioxidant protection with deep penetration to the dermal layer.)
The Benefits of Topical Vitamin C:
- More Concentrated than nutritional Vitamin C
- Rapidly absorbed so it won’t rub or wash off
- Greater penetration to the epidermis and dermis, greater benefit
- Neutralizes free radical damage caused by UV light, smoke, and air pollution
- Allows skin cells to remain healthy and able to perform their necessary functions
- Enhances the protective barrier function of the skin
- Helps moisturize and increase skin hydration
- Stimulates collagen production
- Restores elasticity
- Prevents premature skin aging
- Protects against damaging UVA and UVB rays
- Reverses the appearance of photoaging
- Decreases fine lines and wrinkles
- Lightens and brightens the skin for more even tone
- Fades brown spots
- Helps reduce oiliness and restore sebum balance
- Helps to normalize problem skin (pimples, blackheads, and other problems associated with oily skin)
- Can lessen redness and sunburn if applied before (or after) sun exposure (Reference 1)
- When combined with sunscreen, can enhance the power of sunscreens (Reference 2)
Skincare-MD only carries Vitamin C products that are stable.
Obagi Professional-C Serums, Obagi-C Rx Clarifying Serum, C2S Skin Balancing Serum
The topical Vitamin C products that we carry are all stable forms of L-ascorbic Acid, proven to provide better absorption and penetration than competitive products. These products include Obagi Professional-C Serums in 10%, 15%, and 20% strengths (see resource article “Obagi Professional-C Serums”), Obagi-C Rx Clarifying Serum with 10% Vitamin C (L-Ascorbic Acid) and 4% hydroquinone, and C2S Skin Balancing Serum with salicylic acid, two forms of stable Vitamin C and Vitamin E another potent antioxidant (see resource article “Topical Vitamin C”).
30% More Absorption of Vitamin C with Clarisonic MD Professional Skin Care Brush
Skincare-MD also carries the Clarisonic MD Professional Skin Care Brush. This brush has been shown to gently cleanse while maintaining skin hydration. These factors can contribute to the increased absorption of topical products. The folks at Clarisonic specifically tested topical Vitamin C in one of their studies. They found that there was a 30% greater absorption of ascorbic acid into the skin following cleansing with the Clarisonic MD Professional Skin Care Brush. Greater depth of penetration was also noted with 61% more ascorbic acid present in the deepest four sets of samples collected. (For complete study: http://www.clarisonic.com/pro/research.html, select Studies, Better Product Absorption After Cleansing.)
Topical Vitamin C is for external use only.
Contact us with your questions:
If you have any questions regarding our Jane Iredale products or one of our skin care regimens, please call us at 1-877-415-0600 Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 7:30 pm EST.
1,2 Burke, Karen E MD, PhD, Shades of Protection, Sept/Oct 2007 issue of Healthy Aging.